Friday, March 7, 2008

Questions & Answers: 3-7-08

Question:

YESS Training/Joe Rossi,
I'm a little confused. I have read conflicting advise about where to place the thumbs while benching. I noticed in your video you have the thumbs tucked behind the bar. Isn't that dangerous? Which way is better for gripping the bar?
Thanks,
Daniel, Vancouver Canada

Answer:

Daniel,

When I posted that video, I knew some how, some one, would call me out with the grip I used! I should have known better. With that being said, I teach everyone who trains with me to "Lock" the thumbs around the bar and squeeze the living ! @ # $ out of it! This is the only way to properly bench. Very similar with how a fighter would make a fist for a knockout punch. Like a punch, the thumb secures the entire hand enabling the fingers to remain tight. You have a less chance of breaking your hand. When benching, the thumb locks the bar in the hand, decreasing your chances of a broken face! This is the safest and most effective way to bench press. Notice the picture above. You should do the same.


A Side Note:

Most of my benching is performed with submaximal weight using the grip you have seen in the video. This is the only way I can perform the traditional bench press. Quick Story... A few years back, I found myself recovering from what was supposed to be arthroscopic surgery on my right elbow. A "Clean Up" was the exact term. When I woke up, my surgeon informed me that they had to do a little more. Here is a distorted version on how the conversation went:

Dr. Kevorkian: Joe, we did a little more than a "Clean Up", but it went well.

Anesthesia Joe: What does more than a "Clean Up" mean?

Dr. Kevorkian: We had to cut through the entire muscle belly of the elbow, but it went well.

Anesthesia Joe: What does "went well" mean?

Dr. Kevorkian: We were able to locate and retrieve all the calcium deposits that was causing your elbow to lock up.

Anesthesia Joe: Ok, great. It's going to be a relief to have full range of motion in my elbow again!

Dr. Kevorkian: With a surgery like this and cutting through the muscle in the manner we did, the surgery should give you back most of your range of motion.

Anestassia Joe: Most? Why am I feeling like I traded in a used car for another used car?

Dr. Kevorkian: It's imperative that you immediately try to make a fist through the recovery process. If the muscle tissue heals before you gain back a full range of motion, you will never gain back the range of motion you once had.

Anesthesia Joe: Didn't I see you on the news trying to justify the reason why you kill your patients?

Dr. Kevorkian: No no.... We just look alike.

Anesthesia Joe: ............ I think the anesthesia is still working because I see you smiling, looking like Mr. Rogers, hooking me up to something that looks really weird.

Dr. Kevorkian: (Silence)

"You Mean Killing People Is Wrong?" - Dr. Jack Kevorkian



Another Side Note:

Well, Kevorkian never killed me, but my elbow hasn't been the same since. When I tuck my thumbs behind the bar, it's so I can bench without shredding my elbow! After surgery, my wrist and thumbs haven't been the same either. If I had to duck tape the bar to my hands so I could still train, I would...

Mr. Rogers from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood:

Unlike Kevorkian, Mr. Rogers was a good man!

Get Strong,

Joe