Monday, September 14, 2009

Sacrifice For Reward: Gerald & Kevin

On behalf of YESS Training, I am proud to announce some very big accomplishments that have been made by two of our Gladiator Athletes- Gerald Javier and Kevin Hernandez :

Gerald With The Bling

Gerald won the Gold and Silver Medal for his weight class in the famous Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournament known as the 2009 Grapplers Quest for GI/No-GI competition. All of his bouts were performed in succession, meaning after you win, you go and fight again (sometimes with no rest). I call Gerald the real "Karate Kid" as he is a Golden Gloves Boxing Champion, holds a winning Muay-Thai record, and now has his sights set on getting in the cage for his first Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fight.

Gerald is a well conditioned Gladiator Athlete and it has been an honor to train him. Between the time he puts in on his own and the brutality that I provide for him, he will continue to get stronger, more powerful, and better conditioned as the training progresses. Check out Gerald "Getting To It" in competition below:


A few weeks ago, Kevin Hernandez won the Long Island Amateur Boxing Championships at the age of 15. He is a dedicated hard worker who eats and sleeps the sport of boxing. He will only improve and you will be hearing a lot more about Kevin in the future. When a 15 year old kid text messages you on a Friday night at 1:00 A.M about training and nutrition, you know he has something to prove.


Kevin Hernandez With The Belt

Check out one of Kevin's fights below:





A Side Note:



This has been one of the busiest summers of my life. I have been working toward the "Grand Opening" of the YESS Training Gym, preparing our athletes for their respected sports and the up and coming season, traveling all over the East Coast to be at our guys fights, helping some of our own who have been suffering from tragedy in their lives (while trying to keep them focused and not give up), and preparing for the birth of our second child. A lot has been put into perspective for me in a short amount of time.


I write about this because it all means so much to me. I'm not trying to preach here, or spread a bunch of fluff. For starters, I take full responsibility for those I train and if they win then I win, and if they fail, I fail. I'm not separate from them. I'm not doing this just for a pay check. I don't know how to not become personally invested with those around me. Both in and outside of training.


Yes, I give a shit about who I train. I care about their progress as an athlete, and as a human being. I'm not another jerk-off trainer and I want nothing to do with jerk-off trainers. Even if they are rich and famous. Keep your fame and keep your money. Both hold no value to me. Their ego will always blind them from seeing truth in all things. I find truth in other things, things and Ideals that appear to be fleeting these days.

I value Heart, Passion, Love, Loyalty, Friendship, Brotherhood, Self Sacrifice, Doing the Impossible, Rising Up after Falling Down, Good Human Beings with Good Values, Those Who Would Give You the Shirt Off Their Back, Those Who Believe, Those Who Can Be Happy For You and Not Envious or Jealous Of You, those Who Never Give Up, and those who take no pride in tearing you down!

If you find yourself surrounded by people who don't give a shit, ego driven, selfish, and jealous, GET AWAY FROM THEM! They are like a disease, a disease that will spread to you. They will infect you and hold you back, even hurt you in the long run.

My sister said something to me not too long ago, something that has been burnt deep into my mind that holds so much wisdom and truth. She said that jealousy is a form of hatred. Being jealous of someone is the next best thing to hating them. If you are around those who are jealous of you, you are around those who are close to hating you. She is a bit younger then me, but these words of wisdom were spoken beyond what I could of ever put together. Why am I writing this? To help and share. How can an athlete benefit from this? Keep reading.
Behind every great champion you will usually find a good foundation of people supporting them. A good wife, parents, family members, friends, training partners, coaches, or trainers. They will help raise you up if you have been kicked down, tell you the truth even if you don't want to hear it, and die for you if they had to. These are the people you want to surround yourself with if you want to succeed in the gym, sports, or in life. These are the people you want by your side in battle. You don't need a lot of these people. Quantity is not what matters here. Like a good buddy of mine said: "I would rather have one or two people around me who I trust with my life and are of quality, then a lot of people claiming to be my friends, but really don't give a shit about me." How can you apply this to your life? How could this make you better in the gym, as an athlete on the playing field, and as a person? Build your foundation. Surround yourself with quality. It's there, trust me. You just have to look for it. This will help you in ways I can not explain. It's all about becoming better.

To summarize the Immortal Bruce Lee: "Take and Use what is Useful and Discard What Is Useless".

Another Side Note:

With over 100,000 training web-sites that use Bruce Lee quotes to hammer home points, make my blog 100,001. I have logged over a million hours watching his films growing up as a kid. This man Bleeds Passion and that is why I too will continue to quote him. Ohh, and in case you haven't noticed, we are now on FaceBook under Rossi's Gym. Check us out.